Saturday, October 13, 2007

Don't Feed Your Dog Xylitol

Reported in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, there is clinical evidence indicating that canine consumption of Xylitol can cause precipitous drops in low-blood sugar, bleeding disorders and severe liver damage, including liver failure. In the data collected, every dog that accidentally ingested Xylitol grew ill, and some had to be euthanized due to the severity of the damage.

Xylitol is a sweetener commonly found in sugar-free food products, like chewing gum, baked items and candies, as well as toothpastes. You will want to take particular care not to leave these products within the reach of your companion animals.

Authors of the report stressed that all members of families with dogs should be aware of the possible negative health consequences. Consumers should be aware that any product claiming to be sugar-free may contain xylitol. The researchers also noted that there was no information available as yet to indicate the same kind of reaction in cats.  (Taken from this free Healthy Pet Newsletter.)
Get people xylitol products (gum, mints, chocolate, etc.).

No comments:

Share This Post