Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kitchen Sponges Toxic

Whether you're doing the dishes or wiping down the counter, be sure that your sponge isn't leaving behind a toxic mess.

Though soppy kitchen sponges and dishrags are notorious breeding grounds for bacteria, avoid the temptation to pick up an antibacterial or antimicrobial option.

Antibacterial products are usually treated with the pesticide triclosan, which provides no additional protection beyond that of plain soap, according to researchers at the University of Michigan School of Public Health, and may even contribute to the rise of some drug-resistant bacteria.

Not only that, but when triclosan is exposed to water treated with chlorine (and most municipal water is ), it can form the probable human carcinogen chloriform.

There are "greener" ways to lighten the bacteria load in sponges.

Read the entire article.

No comments:

Share This Post